THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, May 6, 2011

the doctor will see you now.

The officer had his surgery on Thursday. Things went pretty well.

We were supposed to check in at 11 a.m. The surgery was schedule for 1 p.m. Of course the officer wanted to leave at 9:45 a.m. but I talked him into only being 30 minutes earlier than the 11 a.m. check-in. :)

When we walked in, the officer had some paperwork to fill out. While he did that, the nice check-in lady and I had a nice chat about coupons. I am not even sure how that came up, but we talked about it while the officer filled all his papers out. The officer's lieutenant showed up as were finishing up. He helped us pass the the hour wait we had. The officer was a little nervous about the surgery, so we were thankful for some distraction. This would be the first time the officer has ever had any surgery or has had to be put under anesthesia.

They called us back to the pre-op room around 11:15 a.m. As soon as we got back into the room (a curtained off section of a large room), another one of the officer's co-workers showed up. The officer had to change into his hospital gown. I was laughing so hard when I was helping him change. The first tie to his gown was at the top in the middle of his neck. The second tie was under his right arm around his waist. As I was tying the gown, the officer kept saying, "Don't tie it so tight!!!!" I was trying to explain to him that if I tied it loose, his rear would be hanging out. He didn't want it tied tight so I didn't do it, but when he felt how much of his rear would be hanging out he changed his mind. Here's a picture of the officer being silly in all his hospital gown glory. Pretty cute huh???


The officer's co-worker stayed with us until 1 p.m. He kept us laughing the whole time. This was good because the officer had not had anything to eat or drink since 8 p.m. the previous evening. He does not do well when he can't eat. When he gets hungry, he gets light-headed, shaky and irritable. Not good. When he gets hungry, he needs to eat within about 30 minutes.

During this time, several nurses came in. One nurse came in to put the officer's iv in. She came in carrying a tote with all her supplies. I immediately noticed her tote and commented on how much I liked it. Take a look at it.


You may not be able to see it, but it's covered in Bob Stoops pictures. She was a big OU fan! Yeah! She was very sweet. The next nurse that came in had the same tennis shoes as I did.

The officer's co-worker left around 1 p.m. The clock kept ticking and the officer was starting to get antsy. Every 5 minutes that would tick by, was just another reminder that he was hungry, very hungry! He talked about going to eat at Golden Palace (a Mongolian buffet place with amazing green beans) after the surgery. I was like, "Okay, if you can walk and move around we can go." We made a "Plan B", take out from Swadleys. He was need either a lot of food or a lot of meat.

I jokingly told him that after his surgery he probably wouldn't be that coherent so I was going to make him go couponing with me. He would have to hold Big Bertha for me and go to Homeland, Walgreens and CVS. Before they took him back for the surgery, I was talking about unicorns. I wanted to see it would make him say silly things about unicorns when he came out from the anesthesia. They took him back at 2:15 p.m.

I grabbed lunch at Sonic and came right back. Around 4:15 p.m., they called me back to the pre-op room. When I walked into the room, the officer was awake but very, very groggy. The first thing he said was, "My head feels very big and I'm dizzy. I feel like a bobble head." He was heavy-lidded and lethargic, but overall okay. The surgery was a success. They took the ulnar ligament from him lower arm and put it in his hand.

He wasn't crazy or hallucinating. He seemed pretty coherent. He said, "As soon as I woke up, I asked the nurse, "Did I say anything stupid?" She said, "No." I guess I had him so worried he was going to say something silly, crazy or stupid. He told me about when they put the oxygen mask on and put the anesthesia in the iv and how he went out pretty fast. He asked me if and where I ate lunch. He said he didn't think Golden Palace was a good idea, and that maybe we should just eat Swadleys. He said, "I know I'm coherent enough to say I don't want to go couponing!" Like I said, he seemed pretty coherent. He remember many of the things that we talked about before he went into surgery. I would say he knew what all was going on around him; however, he said all those things I just mentioned about six times each. He would tell me about how he asked the nurse if he said anything stupid, then talk about eating at Swadleys and then talk again about asking the nurse if he said anything stupid. Then he would say, "Oh that's right, you just told me that. I just need to be quiet and quit asking." Then it would start all over again. :)

All the people at the hospital were so nice and patient. They were great. I took the officer home around 5:30 p.m. I got his medicine and his Swadley, which he devoured. They gave him some Nutter Butters right after he woke up, but that doesn't last too long.

He's doing pretty good, in some pain, but overall doing good. He will be in a splint for two weeks, then in a cast for four weeks, and then physical rehab for four weeks. Today he woke up as was ready to get out of the house at 8 a.m. Yep, already cabin fever.

There were so many people who helped us out. My mom watched the kids the day of the surgery and they stayed the night with her. My friend, Mrs. C, brought us an amazing chicken enchilada dinner tonight. We have had many friends say they will help us with the lawn. We had many call, email, text, and facebook us to check on us. Mostly we appreciate the prayers. They were needed to calm and support us and we felt them. Thanks guys!!! LOVE YA'LL!

1 comments:

Julie said...

I laughed out loud at the part about the unicorns! I love how you and the officer mess with each other, reminds me and my husband are with each other! Too funny!

Glad things went well, if you need anything let us know!