this is one of those old posts, but it's the story of how i met THE officer.
I completely empathize with those people who take 8 years in college to get a 4 year degree. Mainly because I am one of those people. You may ask, if all that work was worth it, now that I am a stay-at-home mom. I would say yes - I think the education degree helps with the home schooling aspect. Also, I would not have met my husband, if I had not stayed in there. I met him my last year of college.
He sat in front of me in a state government class. Cannot lie - the first thing I noticed about his was his broad shoulders and back. Not bad to look at every Tuesday & Thursday at 11 a.m. I did not get to know him well in class though - he was not a talker like I am. Actually I was better friends with two of his good friends, Matt & Mike. They are twins who have know my officer since the elementary school days. Matt & Mike went to the Baptist Student Union, as it was called back then. I was better friends with Mike and got to know my officer through them.
My first impression of my officer was he was pretty quiet and a serious type of guy. He did not talk much in class. I liked to tease him because he would get embarrassed easily and his face and ears would get red. His major was criminal justice - he had always wanted to be a policeman. He was also in the National Guard. Two things I had sworn I would never marry - a police man or a man in the military. Apparently God had other plans.
I had waited a long time for this officer. I had not dated a lot (okay only 1 person) in junior high or high school. I had dated one person for about 6 months in college up until this time. God had told me to be patient because He would not put us together until we were both ready.
The first specific memory I have of spending time together was on Nov. 6, 1996. We were supposed to make some chocolate chip cookies at the BSU. He could not make it so I put a note on his dorm room door with a bag of chocolate chips saying we would make them another time. Within minutes of getting back to the BSU, he called me. He said he had to go to Stillwater to vote and asked if I wanted to go with him. I said sure. He came by and picked me up and we went to Stillwater. We went to the armory in Stillwater and I waited while he voted. We then went out to his parents house and I met his mother and sister. That was a bit unexpected, but they were very sweet to me. After that we hung out a lot - just as friends.
During the Christmas break, I visited my friends, Matt & Mike in their hometown and my officer was there. I knew at this time that I liked him - a lot. I prayed to God if he was not the man I was supposed to marry that we would not even start dating. I prayed that a lot in the beginning. God is faithful. I also visited my officer at his house during the Christmas break and met the rest of his family. Kind of strange - meeting his family since we were not dating. He took me to the McDonalds in the local Wal-Mart (I do not know if that is considered a 'date' - probably by college standards it is, but it was one of the few things we did by ourselves in the beginning). Up until this time, we had mostly done group things with our friends. We emailed back and forth during the break and by the New Year we were dating. Even though I did not want to get married before we got out of college, within a couple of months, I knew without a shadow of a doubt we would marry. We dated for 2 1/2 years. He proposed to me at Hafer Park on Feb. 13, 1999. We got married on Oct. of that same year. And the rest as they say is history.
I am so glad I waited until God revealed who he has set aside for me. I cannot imagine being with anyone else. In so many ways, I see how God fit us together.
I completely empathize with those people who take 8 years in college to get a 4 year degree. Mainly because I am one of those people. You may ask, if all that work was worth it, now that I am a stay-at-home mom. I would say yes - I think the education degree helps with the home schooling aspect. Also, I would not have met my husband, if I had not stayed in there. I met him my last year of college.
He sat in front of me in a state government class. Cannot lie - the first thing I noticed about his was his broad shoulders and back. Not bad to look at every Tuesday & Thursday at 11 a.m. I did not get to know him well in class though - he was not a talker like I am. Actually I was better friends with two of his good friends, Matt & Mike. They are twins who have know my officer since the elementary school days. Matt & Mike went to the Baptist Student Union, as it was called back then. I was better friends with Mike and got to know my officer through them.
My first impression of my officer was he was pretty quiet and a serious type of guy. He did not talk much in class. I liked to tease him because he would get embarrassed easily and his face and ears would get red. His major was criminal justice - he had always wanted to be a policeman. He was also in the National Guard. Two things I had sworn I would never marry - a police man or a man in the military. Apparently God had other plans.
I had waited a long time for this officer. I had not dated a lot (okay only 1 person) in junior high or high school. I had dated one person for about 6 months in college up until this time. God had told me to be patient because He would not put us together until we were both ready.
The first specific memory I have of spending time together was on Nov. 6, 1996. We were supposed to make some chocolate chip cookies at the BSU. He could not make it so I put a note on his dorm room door with a bag of chocolate chips saying we would make them another time. Within minutes of getting back to the BSU, he called me. He said he had to go to Stillwater to vote and asked if I wanted to go with him. I said sure. He came by and picked me up and we went to Stillwater. We went to the armory in Stillwater and I waited while he voted. We then went out to his parents house and I met his mother and sister. That was a bit unexpected, but they were very sweet to me. After that we hung out a lot - just as friends.
During the Christmas break, I visited my friends, Matt & Mike in their hometown and my officer was there. I knew at this time that I liked him - a lot. I prayed to God if he was not the man I was supposed to marry that we would not even start dating. I prayed that a lot in the beginning. God is faithful. I also visited my officer at his house during the Christmas break and met the rest of his family. Kind of strange - meeting his family since we were not dating. He took me to the McDonalds in the local Wal-Mart (I do not know if that is considered a 'date' - probably by college standards it is, but it was one of the few things we did by ourselves in the beginning). Up until this time, we had mostly done group things with our friends. We emailed back and forth during the break and by the New Year we were dating. Even though I did not want to get married before we got out of college, within a couple of months, I knew without a shadow of a doubt we would marry. We dated for 2 1/2 years. He proposed to me at Hafer Park on Feb. 13, 1999. We got married on Oct. of that same year. And the rest as they say is history.
I am so glad I waited until God revealed who he has set aside for me. I cannot imagine being with anyone else. In so many ways, I see how God fit us together.

0 comments:
Post a Comment