So it has been a couple of strange weeks on the island. It is different having the officer home all the time. However, we have loved it. I feel like I am behind in a lot of stuff. Since the laundry is a visible thing I have been choosing to try to keep up on that instead of this blog. :)
I am working on another post about the camping out with did with some friends before the officer's surgery, but for some reason it's taking me forever. The officer will probably be in his physical rehab by the time I get it finished.
The officer has been pretty antsy since he can't do anything. We have had some great friends help us out. We've had some friends bring us a meals, mow our lawn, and family help the officer out with a few honey-dos.
Yesterday the officer had his stitches taken out and he went from a splint to a cast. It give the officer a lot more confidence that he won't accidentally tweak his thumb and tear that ligament again. We all went to the doctor's office yesterday. My son was concerned that when they took the stitches out that the officer's hand would just start gushing blood. It didn't. I thought the kids would think it was cool to see how they put a cast on. Actually, I thought it was pretty cool. There were a lot of colors to choose from. My son was trying to get the technician to put pick on the officer. In the end, the officer opted for Cowboy orange. The kids are having a good time drawing on his cast. Whoever knew it could be so much fun?
The officer went back to work today on light duty. Yesterday the doctor said that the officer would be in a cast for four weeks, and then there could be physical rehab for his thumb for 1-2 months. I think the officer almost fainted when he heard "2" months. He was really hoping to be back on his motorcycle by mid-July. We'll see how it goes.
On Sunday afternoon, we decided to get out of the house. We decided to treat the kids to Freddy's custard. I had purchased a Living Social Deal for Freddy's Custard. It was very yummy. My son had a chocolate brownie sundae. My daughter had a dirt and worms sundae (Oreo cookies and gummi worms). The officer had a Reeces peanut butter concrete and I had a cheesecake concrete. My son keeps insisting on making crazy eyes when I take pictures.After Freddy's, we headed to a Lake Hefner. They have a great playground. We walked around the shore of the lake. The kids enjoyed finding shells. Let me just say I am not a billy goat. Seeing me getting down the rocks to get to the shore was a funny site. Of course I am just basing that on the kids and the officer laughing at me because I was so slow.
Right by the water's edge it was muddy. The officer had tried to walk across the mud, but started sinking very quickly. My son wanted to play "ninja". He wanted to see if he could make it across without sinking. He made it. Of course, his sister has to see if she can make it too. She got halfway and lost her shoe in the mud.
We walked to the replica lighthouse. It was a gorgeous day outside. The kids found some great shells and the officer found a golf ball.
I got on my bicycle for the first time this past week. I don't have a bicycle helmet so I hadn't been riding since the officer bought me the back in February. However, the other day we were outside watching the kids ride their bikes. I thought I need to just get on it and go. I did. The first ride after 20 years was a bit wobbly. On Monday, our whole family decided to ride our bikes around the neighborhood. It was a lot of fun. I am not sure how the officer could ride with one hand only (his other one was still in the splint), but he managed it. I was barely managing to push my hair out of my face and stay on the bike. Meanwhile, my son is jumping curbs and my daughter is showing her me how she can just ride with one hand too. You've got to start somewhere though.
I found out this past week that one of my good friends is moving. That makes me sad, but I know that God has something special in store for them. They are an amazing family. I appreciate how they have stayed close as a family as their children haven gotten older. I will be calling her - a lot - when my kids get older and don't want to hang around me anymore. :)
I also have a very good friend who has moved back here. I am very excited about it! She is one of my oldest friends. I know I've mentioned her on my blog before. Oh wait, she went to the Michael Buble concert with me. Her children are younger than mine, but my kids enjoy them. Her husband is a childhood friend of the officer's. We are looking forward to being able to spend time together with our families.
So that's our week in a nutshell. School is still going on for us. It will all summer. Yeah! :) Gotta smile.
I hope you have a great weekend. It seems like it's Monday for us since the officer went back to work today.
Life is Wild - Intro
9 months ago
0 comments:
Post a Comment