Saturday morning our whole family joined my son's cub scout pack to help out local farmer. In case you don't live in Oklahoma, I will fill you in on what happened this past week.
On Tuesday several tornadoes ripped through the state. One of the tornadoes hit 10-15 miles from us. The officer was on his way home from work . I had the kids in their motorcycle helmets in the laundry room with a bag packed. The weatherman was literally yelling into the tv saying, "If you can't get underground, you need to leave and get out of it's path!" It was about 15 miles from us. The officer called and said, "Get ready because when I pull into the driveway we are leaving!"
He pulled up into the driveway and we all piled into the car. As we were pulling out, my daughter started crying, saying, "What about Hobbs! What about Hobbs?" Hobbs is our dog. The officer couldn't take it so we grabbed stinky Hobbs and put in him the back of the car. We headed south to the safety of a McDonalds. It was interesting with the officer, kids and stinky Hobbs all in our car. We prayed for people we knew were in the possible path of the tornado. It was scary. We were safe. Hobbs didn't want to get out of the back of the car when we got home. We had to drag him out.
Back to Saturday.
My son's cub scout troop decided to get together and help a local farmer clean his field. We met at a church at 8:30 a.m. and rode a bus to the farm. This fulfilled a small wish of the kids. They have always wanted to ride a bus. They see the school buses picking up and dropping off kids and well since they are homeschooled.....
It was kind of muddy. At first I thought, "Well that's a bit annoying!" but then I thought if it wasn't muddy it would be terribly dusty! That was my "Pollyanna" moment. There's always something to be thankful/glad about.
The whole time we were out there, I kept talking to my children about service for others. We should look for opportunities to help serve others to show them God's love for them. Serving others makes you thankful for how God has blessed you. Serving others is a great way to show others God and you care. Serving others makes you less selfish because it takes the focus off of "me" and puts it on "others".
I wasn't sure my kids were getting it when we were half way done with the first field. There was a little bit of complaining and whining going on. I won't even tell you what they said when I told them we had to walk back over the first field and had another field to do. :) My son told me later though by the time we got back on the bus he felt really good about helping the farmer. I hope we get more opportunities to serve others. I hope we recognize the opportunities to help others.
Oh... and it wasn't just good for the kids. It was good for me and the officer. I realize I am completely selfish too. I didn't particularly want to spend my Saturday morning walking in a wheat field. The officer had offered to just take the kids and let me stay home. However, I really felt God telling me I need to spend this family time together. I'm so glad I did. How can I show my kids how to serve others if I don't? How can I show how important it is if I don't make it a priority? How can I show them serve others if I say, "I'm just too busy to do that right now."?
I John 3:18
Little children, let us not love in word or talk, but in deed and in truth.
Ephesians 2:10
For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.
1 comments:
Sometimes it's difficult to try and teach our kids how to be helpful. The best thing we can do is show that spirit in ourselves so they can mimic it! Good job!
We actually left the house too, we were not chancing this storm at home. We went up to the hospital and it was PACKED. Thankful that your family is ok, and heartbroken for those who lost everything in the storm.
Post a Comment