THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Hi. My name is.....

It's that time of year again. We are selling Cub Scout popcorn. We've done this for the past two years. Each year, my son has donned his Cub Scout uniform, grabbed his popcorn order form and has pounded the pavement.

Each year, he kind of forgets how much he likes it. Sometimes there a bit of complaining about having to get dressed, but once he is in his Cub Scout uniform his demeanor changes. I have a feeling when he "grows up" his job will require a uniform.

I've gone around the neighborhood several times with him this year. I love it. I love to see him at work. "They" say homeschoolers are shy, awkward, and "weird", but this is not something I see in my son. He is a little nervous. Nervous he will forget all the information he has to say.

"Hi. My name is _______. I'm selling Cub Scout popcorn to raise money so we can do activities. Would you like to buy some?"

If they look at the order form, "If you order today, I have to collect the money today. Checks will not be turned in until mid-October."

If they purchase popcorn, "The popcorn will come in on November 12." He's nervous he might say it comes in mid- October and and the checks will be turned in November 12th. It's understandable.

Before we began, we talked about what to do. My son likes to be prepared and know everything possible beforehand.

1. Walk up the driveway and do not touch the cars.
2. Look for "No Solicitors" signs. It means they do not want you to sell them anything.
3. Ring the doorbell. Step back 2 steps and wait 10 seconds.
4. If no one answers the doorbell, knock.
5. If no one answers the doorbell, walk back down the driveway.
6. If someone answers the door, start with, "Hi. My name is ______."
7. If they say "No", then say "Thank you very much" and walk away.

Last night I took my son to sell his popcorn. He was very excited to get into his Cub Scout uniform because he had received several achievements at his last pack meeting. He put them on his belt, and I have to say he did look quite handsome.

The officer took my daughter on an ice cream date. As they were walking out of the house, my daughter had her Heelys on, but was carrying her pink roller skates. I said, "Why do you have your roller skates?" She said, "When I am done with the ice cream date, I am going to roller skates with you guys!"

My son had his popcorn order form on his clipboard and his pen in his pocket ready to go. There was a little more motivation this time because at the last pack meeting the leaders had said one of the top three prizes was a $100 Lego store giftcard. Lego bricks were dancing in his eyes.

We drove to spot where he left off last time. Many people weren't home. I would say this time only about 1/3 of the people who answered their doors purchased popcorn. I loved watching him though. He is in his element. He is not discouraged when people say no thank you. Some people say they don't have the money right now. Others say, I've already purchased some. One lady said she can't eat popcorn. He just politely says, "Okay, Thank you!" and runs down the driveway.

I did notice something though. When my son would ring the doorbell and we would hear dogs bark, he would knock and then come back quickly. He said, "When I hear dogs barking, I count to 10 a little quicker." He doesn't like the small, yappy dogs (this is due to our neighbors dog chasing and nipping at his heals when he was three).

I did get in trouble though. After about five house, the officer and my daughter came back. They drove down the street until they found us and out she hopped with her pink roller skates on. As my son went house to house selling his popcorn, my daughter and I were on the sidewalks. I watched my son at the doors and my daughter while she would skate three houses away on the sidewalk. When she would skate back to me, she would fling herself into me. I would tickle her and we would laugh. After the second house of this happening, my son came down the driveway and said, "Mom, no one wants to be at their door and see a hyper mom and sister on their sidewalk." Yikes. I think we were being distracting. We straightened up after that. No more loud giggling.

So we will go out and sell more popcorn. We'll be asking many of you who read this so get ready. :) His goal is $1,000. I think he can do it. He is almost half way there.

I love watching him. I love seeing him in his uniform. I love seeing him walk up to the doors with the clipboard in his hand and looking for "No Soliciting" sign. I love seeing him count with his fingers to 10 so I know how fast he is counting (I told him to slow down). I love hearing him say, "Hi. My name is ______." I love hearing him say, "I have a pen." and taking the one from his pocket to give to them. I love hearing him say, "Thank you!" and run down the driveway. He's totally comfortable and in his element.

He has grown up from the two years ago when we started, which seemed like yesterday. Too fast people, too fast.

0 comments: