i'm pretty much a plain gal. i hate to wear make-up unless i'm going to work or church. if i've done something with you outside those two setting, mostly likely i have not been wearing make-up. when i find something i like to wear, i would buy it in 6 different colors if available. as far as clothes, i don't like anything with hearts, ruffles, or pictures on it. i can take flowers sometimes, but it's iffy. i like to buy plain stuff because i think it has a tendency to last longer - trend wise. if i find something trendy i like, i must really like it a lot to buy it or it was on serious clearnance. also i don't buy clothes that often because when clothes are purchased in this household it's usually for the kids.
that being said, consignment sales have started to come back around. they usually come around twice a year. if you haven't been to consignment sales, you have to go. people bring their gently used children's clothes and someone else sells them for you for at 30-50% of the profit. it's a great way to earn a little money and clean out those closets. i always go the first day to get some things i know will be gone by the last day - dresses, nice clothes, shoes, and special toys. consignment sales are especially great for those of you with newborn babies. since babies grow so fast, often the newborn clothes are in very good condition. usually the last day of the sale is a 50% off day.
we've only gone to one consignment sale this year - remember we're trying to pay off that credit card. when i go on the first day i am usually looking for church-type clothes. i like to buy my daughter's dresses one size up (if she wears 4T, i buy 5T) to make the dress last longer. i am not restricted to only buying summer dresses for summer. i let her wear them in the fall and early spring too. i just put a long sleeve shirt underneath (that's where the plain long sleeve shirts come in handy), cardigan sweater over (again also plain), and tights with them. BAM - you have a summer, fall, & early spring dress even though it's a sleeveless dress.
when i went to the consignment sale this year, i noticed i am not finding as much clothing for my daughter as i usually do. as far as boys go, i only find a moderate amount of clothing - boys stuff always goes very fast. there is 1 rack of boy's clothes to every 4 racks of girl's clothes. anyway, when i looked for my daughter's clothes, i just saw more and more that i didn't like. let me just say this now, if i say i don't like something about clothes, don't take it personal. it's just my silly old opinion and you know what they say about opinions. there were shirts with attitudes on them, you know the ones that say "give me what i want or i'll pitch a fit" or "if you don't give me what i want, grandma will". i actually saw a girl's t-shirt that said, "1: i want it!, 2: you buy it!, 3: any questions?" i know these are meant to be cute, but i don't really care for them. of course, there many clothes that i feel are just inappropriate for my 4 year old to wear. they look too much like grown-up clothes. my kids do own shirts with pictures (i.e. star wars, dora, spiderman) on them. i have purchased them. again the thing about some of those is kids move on in things they like and then you are stuck with those clothes until the next consignment sale. also i honestly don't understand this high school musical thing. i haven't seen the movie, so i'm not criticizing the movie. however why does my daughter who wears 5T need something that says high school musical on it. she's not even in high school or junior high for that matter. does she need that purse, umbrella, or hair bow with the HMS stamped on it? i don't even want her thinking about boys in that manner right now anyway. i don't get it.
grrr.... guess i'm just a little frustrated at what i've found or not found at these sales. i just want some cute, modest, long lasting (trend-wise) clothes for my kids. i know i will not be making the decisions about what they wear forever, but i am right now. and so for now, i remain on the hunt. what about you, do you find it frustrating finding clothes for your children? have you found a store that has great, affordable clothes? pass on your tips!
Life is Wild - Intro
9 months ago
4 comments:
I have been blessed by people always giving me tons of clothes, so I always give away my daughter's clothes. I don't like tummies to show, so I always buy a size bigger in t-shirts. My daughter hardly owns anything that isn't high school musical. I totally agree with the boy girl thing, but the original movie was about being able to be who you were and doing the things you loved without being peer pressured into just doing cool stuff. Like Troy's dad was pressuring him into playing basketball and he was realy good at singing. Another basketball player (male) really liked to bake. A girl was really good at composing music. HSM 2, can't remember any great values taught there. Basically just teamwork. Haven't seen HSM 3 yet, so don't know. I guess it is like any other show - Dora, Star Wars, Wall E, hype is built around it and they try to sell as much as possible. If you don't want your kid to wear HSM clothes, that is totally your right. You are pretty lucky to live in an area that has consignment places. I live in a small town. I love garage sales, but rarely get any clothes for my daughter there. I like to clearance shop and outlet mall shop. I have also been seen at some goodwill and salvation army stores. I personally very rarely pay full price for anything my daughter wears. I got her the HSM jacket for Christmas, but got it in September when it came out and was offered at 40% off.
stephanie thank you for telling about HSM. like i said i hadn't seen it. you're right just about any movie geared toward kids has all it's own marketing. everything they can make to sell to kids, they do. i think i am like you, i hardly buy anything at full price - i have a hard time doing that when i know if i just wait i can get it cheaper. :)
Oh. My. Having just taken my 12 year old daughter shopping for an Easter outfit, I can say AARRGGHH!
We went from cute and girly to trashy and slutty. All just from going up one size.
I don't understand. I don't want my daughters (I have four of them!) looking like little tramps.
I can totally relate to you with clothes - I have things that I've bought three or four colors of because I like it and it fits well and it's modest. :-)
Maybe we should start a clothing line!
One of the hazards of being IN the world and not OF it, I suppose.
I agree on plain clothes. I wish I felt this way when I was 15, but now I realize how silly it is to wear something that advertises a company for free. They should pay US to show off their name!
Also, I can't bring myself to buy a bikini for my 3 yr old daughter either. If she likes wearing it now, she'll like wearing it later. I'm not willing to take that risk.
I really like the clothes from Children's Place. They are solid and bright colors, and usually have pretty good sales. I love the fact that all or most of their skirts are skorts (at least in toddler sizes). We go to Branson every year and I stock up on bigger sizes. --Julie
Post a Comment