In the midst of trying to pay attention to my health, I have noticed several things. There are habits I had no idea I had formed. As I have mentioned in other posts, I am trying to look at food a little differently.
In the past, food has provided me with comfort. I am not a sweets girl. I'm a salty girl. I will always choose Doritos over a piece of pie, cake or candy bar (unless it's a Heath). Oh unless, it's cheesecake from The Cheesecake Factory. My affection for Doritos spans all the way back to junior high. I can remember laying out on my back porch under the warm sun with my sister, listening to 80s tunes, while eating a bag of Doritos purchased from 7-11. Who am I kidding though? It still provides me with comfort. However, not as much as it did before.
I'm all about taking small steps to change habits that aren't healthy for me. So in addition to walking, I have started working out with weights. I usually meet a friend, Mrs. Van, at the community center to work out together. It's great to have a little bit of accountability. It's hard to get our schedules together, but it helps to have someone to work out with. The officer has registered to run a 5k with a friend in October. He has started running in the morning the same time I am walking. I supposed we kind of doing it together, but he breezes past me and I'm done walking an hour later. When I see him running, I think it would be kind of fun to run with him, but then again, it's 6 a.m. so I'm still a little delirious from sleeping.
I'm still trying to master the portion control thing. Honestly in the past, I could eat two plates of whatever was for dinner. I never understood the people who eat like birds were like "I'm so full I can't eat another morsel!" Whatever. I'm getting better at it. More often than not, one plate does me good. I try to wait just a bit after I eat to see if I really want more. That usually does the trick. However, if I eat a second portion of something I don't let it beat myself up over it.
The other habit I noticed I have done/do is eating the kid's leftovers. For instance tonight, as I was cleaning up from dinner the kids were bringing me their plates from dinner. I took my son's plate and saw one bite of a crescent roll sitting on his plate. I instinctively picked it up and popped in my mouth. No biggie. No thought. But then I did think. I had just read an article today about small ways to cut calories and not eating off the kid's plates was one of the suggestions. I spit the food into the trash. I mean it was just a crescent roll. It's not like it was cheesecake or a Dorito. :) So I am going to pay more attention to that. The majority of the time, I would eat that bite out of habit instead of being hungry or even wanting it.
I am still trying to keep the Coke intake down. Some weeks, it no problem. Other weeks, I really do want a Coke. It's going about the same. I have one Coke about once a week. Last week I might had two.
Speaking of bad habits, I need to go to bed soon. It's 9 p.m. and if I stay up much later, I will watch Netflix and snack on popcorn, pita chips, or Cheez-Its. Again, not because I'm hungry, but because isn't that what you do? Have a snack while watching tv or a movie? Maybe not you, but I did/do.
Baby steps friends. Baby steps.
Life is Wild - Intro
9 months ago
1 comments:
So proud of you, I mean this thinking through stuff. Some of us never get that far, we just do it. I am having to deal with my reading too much. I think I'm addicted and I stay up way too late at night!
From your best supporter.
Post a Comment