THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, February 14, 2011

Happy Valentine's Day

Happy Valentine's Day ya'll!!!

Yesterday afternoon I was contemplating Valentine's Day. I usually don't do anything for the kids for Valentine's Day. They get chocolate, but it's really by default because i purchase it after Valentine's Day on clearance.

(look ma capital letters!)

The other day I had read a facebook status which said, "God gave the greatest Valentine's gift: John 3:16 - For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son that whosoever shall believe in him shall not perish but shall have everlasting life." Yesterday I started to think about this. I don't want Valentine's Day to be only about getting treats and little cards for my children. This is a perfect opportunity to talk about God's love for us all day. Last night while my kids were in choir, I wrote down 24 scriptures having to do with love. here are a few of them.

God's love for us:

Nehemiah 9:17
"... but you are a forgiving God, gracious and compassionate, slow to anger and abounding in love."

Psalms 36:5
"Your love, O Lord, reaches to the heavens, your faithfulness to the skies."

Psalms 130:7
"... put your hope in the Lord, for with the Lord is unfailing love and with him is full redemption."

how God shows love for us:


Proverbs 3:12
"because the Lord disciplines those He loves, as a father the son he delights in."

John 3:16
"For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son that whosoever shall believe in him shall not perish but have everlasting life."

Romans 5:5
"And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom He has given us."

how God wants us to love Him:

Deuteronomy 11:1
"Love the Lord your God and keep his requirements, his decrees, his law and his commands always."

John 14:15

"If you love me, you will obey what I command."

I John 2:5
"If anyone obeys His word, God's love is truly made complete with Him."

how God wants us to love each other:

Leviticus 19:18
"....love neighbors as yourself."

John 15:17
"This is my commandment - love one another."

I Corinthians 16:14
"Do everything in love."

Galatians 5:13
"....serve one another in love."

Ephesians 4:2
"Be completely humble and gentle, be patient, bearing with one another in love."

So last night when we got home from church, I made a run to Wal-Mart. I purchased some things to make this Valentine's Day special.

I got a box and Valentine's Day M&Ms for our "Love Box".

I printed out all 24 scriptures on pieces of paper and sealed them with a heart sticker. I filled the box with the scriptures, M&Ms, and Sweetarts.

I purchased some sacks to make a Valentine's Day sack for each of the kids and candy to go inside. I taped the sacks by their door so we could put Valentines in it throughout the day.

This morning I woke up at 6 a.m. - yeah you read that right - 6 a.m. to make breakfast. It consisted of heart-shaped chocolate chip pancakes, bacon (which looks very well done in this picture because it's my plate), strawberry muffins, apple slices and strawberry milk. The kids were surprised I was up and already making breakfast by the time they woke up. So was the officer!

I will make heart-shaped sandwiches for lunch and we have some strawberry soda floats for dessert. Tonight we will make either a heart pizza or spaghetti. I haven't figured out which one.

My son put a Valentine's Day card right right by the computer where I turn it on so I would see it.

At 7 a.m., we started our "Love Box". The kids opened to box and pulled out the first two scriptures, I Corinthians 13:4-8 describing love and John 3:16 God's ultimate act of love for us. As we read the scriptures, they each get to eat two pieces of candy. This will end up being more candy than they are ever allowed to eat, but it's okay for one day. That's why I got M&Ms! I have set the timer for 60 minutes. Every time the timer goes off, we will read two scriptures. Our last scriptures will be at 7 p.m. tonight right before bedtime. We will take our "Love Box" with us wherever we go today.

I love hearing my son read God's word. I have to help my daughter read some of the words, but I love that she is starting to participate too.

Well I am off. Even though today is Valentine's Day we still have our housework and school work to do. Plus I am going to make some sugar cookie dough so we can decorate some cookies this afternoon.
And it's almost time to do another set of scriptures. :)

Happy Valentine's Day to you! Don't forget that God Loves YOU!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! I wish you were my mommie! You are awesome, t!

Lori Leigh said...

I absolutely LOVE this idea! Thanks for sharing it. I will so be doing this next year!

Shirley said...

I don't even know what to say! I absolutely LOVE this idea and I am stealing it! haha! I don't have time to do it exactly like this, but I am going to think of a way to share these scriptures with my family today. God's love is the BEST love!! Thank you for sharing this with us!! Happy Valentine's Day!! Love ya!

Anonymous said...

That is a great idea!!

Tonya said...

I love it!!!

And I like my bacon very well done too! :)

Happy Valentines Day!