THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, October 30, 2013

My Low/High of the Week (So Far)

It's only Wednesday, but I'm going to go ahead and write about my low/high for the week.

Two Sundays ago, my daughter hurt her right knee on a trampoline.  She was getting off the trampoline and her leg got caught between the springs.  Her left leg landed on the ground, but her right knee got twisted and bruised pretty badly between the springs.  My sister iced it and gave her some Ibuprofen.  She went back outside to play, but was limping.  

The next two days she limped around.  By Wednesday, she wanted to participate in P.E. so she did everything except run.  She didn't have any pain or discomfort.  However, on Thursday she went to tae kwon do and while she was jumping and kicking she popped her hurt knee.  It immediately swelled and was causing pain.  She told me the pain was in a different area of the right knee.  Again, we iced it and gave her Ibuprofen.  By Saturday, she didn't seem to have any pain, limping, and it seemed the swelling was gone.  

The officer asked me to and make her a doctor appointment since she had hurt it twice in one week.  This past Monday she went on a 30 minute bicycle ride with me and she seemed fine.  I didn't think she really needed the dr. appointment, but I made it. 

Tuesday, we went to the pediatrician. She asked me what was wrong with daughter.  I told her all the things that had happened and told her the officer wanted us to come in.  

The doctor washed her hands and said, "Well let's have a look.  Please sit back on the bed and let me see your knees.  Oh, well I can tell her knee is still swollen."

"What?  Where?", I asked.

"Right here.  You can see the left knee outline along here, but you can't see right knee outline here.", she replied.

Oh.  Now I see it.

She told me she wanted daughter to go see an orthopedist since it was still swollen.  No physical activity until she sees him.  No running, no P.E., no tae kwon do (she's not real broken up about that one), only walking with a knee brace.  We went to Academy to purchase a knee brace.  The man who was helping us also said, "Oh yeah, you can tell her knee is swollen."  "Oh yeah, you mean right here.  Yeah I saw that too."  No need for him to know that I didn't see it all week too.

So there you have it.  I would have just let her gone on and on and she probably would have hurt her knee again.  I need to just pay attention to the officer advice.  Good lesson here.

My high for the week is the Tuscaloosa Tollhouse Pie I made tonight for dessert.  I found the recipe this week on Pinterest.  You can find the original recipe at Becky's Bakes blog.  I did cheat and did not make my own pie crust.  You can use Becky's Bakes link to get the recipe for the pie crust.  I used trusty old Pillsbury.  Also, I omitted the whiskey.  If anyone has any tips on how to apply aluminum foil on the outside pie crust in a hot pie pan, I'm all ears.



Tuscaloosa Tollhouse Pie

Ingredients

1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 eggs, room temperature
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened and cut into pieces
3/4 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped
1 1/4 cups chocolate chips


Directions

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2.  In a bowl, whisk together flour and sugars; set aside.
3.  Beat eggs on high speed until foamy, about 3 minutes. 

4.  Mix in flour and sugars on low. Turn mixer to high and beat for 2 minutes.
5.  Add butter and beat on high until combined.
6.  Fold in walnuts and 3/4 cup of chocolate chips.
7.  Pour filling into chilled pie shell, scatter remaining 1/2 cup chocolate chips across the top
8.  Bake for 25 minutes. 
9.  Cover edges of crust with foil and bake for another 25 minutes
10.  Remove from oven when inserted knife or pie tester comes out clean. Cool on a cooling rack completely (at least one hour) before serving.






0 comments: