THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Savory Cashew Chicken

I have been trying some different recipes lately. Tonight I made a recipe my friend, Mrs. Lee, gave me back in college.  We made it a couple of times and it was very savory! I've had the recipe all this time (over 15 years) and I've never made it by myself. 

Whoa, did I just write that it's been 15 years since I was in college?  Shut. the. front. door.  Where had the time gone?

Anywho...

I made it tonight for dinner for the family.  I was pretty sure the officer would like it because he liked it back in college, but you never know. 

I took a picture of most the ingredients:



Savory Cashew Chicken

Ingredients:

14 oz. of Cubed Chicken 
3 Chopped Green Onions
2 Minced Garlic Cloves
1/2 t. Crushed Red Peppers
1 t. Fresh Grated Ginger (i think this is very important)
1 T. Cornstarch
10 oz. of Whole Cashews
2 T. of Oil

Sauce (combine all 3 ingredients):
4 T. Red Wine Vinegar
4 T. Soy Sauce
4 T. Sugar

Directions:

1.  Coat chicken in cornstarch.
2.  Heat 1 T. of oil in skillet and brown the chicken.
3.  Remove chicken from pan.
4.  Heat 1 T. of oil and add green onions, garlic, peppers, and freshly grated ginger, and sauce.  I just cooked this for a couple of minutes.
5.  Add chicken and heat for a few minutes.
6.  Add cashews just before serving (so they stay kind of crunchy).
7.  Serve over rice (brown or white).



This was a huge hit with the whole family.  I recommend getting the whole cashews instead of pieces of cashews.  The pieces of cashews make it very cashew-y (is that a word?).  If you have one allergic to cashews, simply serve the chicken before you add the cashews.

1 comments:

Shirley said...

This sounds good! I love trying new recipes ... especially if the whole family likes it. :)