THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, April 5, 2012

An inside look

The officer was supposed to take the kids dirt bike riding with some friends on Wednesday.  However, it rained so they couldn't ride.  I had a day of errands planned for Wednesday.  The officer said, "Just go.  I will hang out with the kids."  

He didn't have to tell me twice.  

The officer took the kids to kids to see the bearded dragon at Petsmart.  They purchased my daughter a new bike.  The officer was surprised she didn't pick out a pink one.  He took the kids to ride the water taxi downtown (be prepared if you take your kids, it was $23 for the three of them!).  They walked around Bass Pro and then ate lunch at Earls.  I think they came home after lunch and then he took them to tae kwon do.  Busy day for them.

The rest of this post will most likely bore you death, so don't feel obligated to read it.   It's a day in the life of a couponing mom who got to go couponing without kids.  Read at your own risk of falling asleep, unless you need a little nap.  

I started my day by leaving the house at 8 a.m.  I went by the post office and bank.  I went through the drive thru at the bank.  The teller who was helping me said, "Are these yours?"  He had two yellow Nestle Nesquik yellow containers in his hands.  I laughed and said, "Yes!!!"  Last Monday I took the kids into the bank to deposit their "savings" money.  We took their money to the coin machine.  It counted their coins (which was very cool) and then we deposited it into the bank.  I guess we left their "piggy banks" there.  The teller who helped us was the same one who was helping me yesterday.  He said, "I knew you'd be back soon so we just put them aside for you."  Good customer service.

Next I went to Walgreens.  I had transferred a prescription from CVS to Walgreens?  Why?  Because Walgreens is running a promotion right now.  Transfer a prescription from anywhere to Walgreen and they will give you a $25 gift card to Walgreens.  Want to do it for yourself?  Click here to do it yourself.  If you don't want to do it online, you can do it in-store.  It took me 30 minutes to do this in-store, but only because I was their first customer in their new system or something like that.  Finally, I walked away with my $25 Walgreens gift card.  


I went to Staples next.  This is where I purchase all my ink for my coupon printing.  I needed ink and they were running a special. Purchase at least $50 worth of HP ink and get triple Staples Rewards on recycling my ink cartridges. This is how I get my ink cheap.  Usually you only get $2 for each ink cartridge you recycle.  You get that back every month. I just use it to purchase more ink.  Yesterday, I got $6 for each ink cartridge I recycled.  Not bad.  I did spend more this month on ink than normal but next month when I get my Staples Rewards back from recycling I will get FREE ink.  


After Staples, I headed to Goodwill.  I really enjoy going to the Goodwill.  This time I didn't have kids so I was able to take my time and really look around.  I am on the lookout for capris (for my Korea trip) and any other good clothing for the kids I can find.  I have purchased a discount card for the Goodwill.  It was $5 the first time I purchased it.  It takes 10% off each time I make a purchase at Goodwill, basically taking care of tax.  Each time you renew after the initial purchase it is only $3.  I found some capris and a shirt for me and a brown Polo shirt for my son - $9.  

Next in line was Homeland.  I did my weekly couponing there.  I stocked up on cereal.  The kids were excited because "It's actually cereal we like this time!"  I'm happy because it's not full of sugar!  I used all my coupons plus my save $5 off a $25 purchase Homeland coupon from the Thunder games.  My subtotal was $35, but I only paid $12.24 for it all.  I'm going to be very sad when the Thunder season is over.  



It was only 11:30 a.m.  I took my groceries home and put them away.  I checked my email.  I had a little time to kill.  I would normally eat lunch, but yesterday was a special day.  Earlier in the week I was invited by Sonic to come downtown to participate in a taste test.  For my time, I would be given a $40 Sonic gift card.  That's a lot of Happy Hour Vanilla Cokes.  :)  It started at 1:45 p.m. This is a long time to wait for lunch, but they said to try to not eat anything to heavy for lunch since we would be eating at the taste test.  I headed downtown around 12:45 p.m. I didn't want to get lost, which is a very real possibility for me when I go downtown with all the construction and new crosstown.  


I arrived at Sonic at 1:30 p.m.  I checked in and signed a confidentiality agreement.  So I can't tell you what I was taste testing.  Sonic was closed to the public and only open to the people participating in the taste test.  There were laptop computers set up so we could review the food we would be testing.  There were scheduled taste tests happening all day.  There were about 25 other people participating at the 1:45 p.m. taste test with me.  We were going to be review three products.  They brought out each product one at a time and we filled out a survey on each product.  I have to tell you that I do not have a laptop.  It took me several minutes to figure out how to use the "mouse".  I was still doing my first survey when everyone else started on their second survey.  I figured out out though and caught up.  It only took about 30 minutes and they gave us our $40 Sonic gift card.


I headed to the mall next.  I had more freebie coupons to redeem.  I went to Sephora in JCPenney's to get a free sample of Basic Minerals powder and then to Bath & Body Works for a free travel size body wash.  I also had a coupon for free underwear at Victoria's Secret.  Since I didn't have my kids I went ahead and redeemed it too.  I do everything I can to not have to take my son into that store.  I went to Famous Footwear to purchase some new tennis shoes.  I needed to get new tennis shoes and break them in before my Korea trip.  Remember the last time I purchased tennis shoes.  Well this time was no different.  I purchased the same brand of shoes.  Firstly, they were on clearance.  Secondly, they are so comfortable.  My feet are wide and they have always been the most comfortable shoes for my feet.  I did go out on a limb a little bit, there's a bit of white on the soles instead just all gray! 


After the mall, I headed Target.  I had some birthday gifts I needed to purchase.  No, not for my sister who always thinks I am shopping for her birthday gift.  I try to think of who all has birthdays coming up and who my kids will have to buy birthday gifts for.  Then when things go on sale or great coupons come out, I purchase them and put them in my birthday closet (not a "real" birthday closet, but otherwise known as my floor in my closet).  I also purchased some Dove Easter egg chocolate.  Target and Real Simple are running a promotion.  Purchase either Dove Simple Smooth Easter Egg Chocolates, Real Simple Magazine, or Simply skincare and you will get a $5 Target gift card.  You can get the info here.  I purchased the Dove chocolate for $3.99 and some Toms of Maine toothpaste I found on clearance.  The toothpaste was $2.14 and I used a $2 off coupon, so I got it for only .14.    I used a $5 Target gift card I had previously gotten from another $5 Target gift card promotion.  I like to save the $5 gift cards for promos with more $5 gift card.  Then I don't have to wait for my savings.  I will have to wait for this one though.  It will take 6-8 weeks to get the $5 gift card in the mail.  But I made money on it, so I'm willing to wait on it.  


I went to Walmart next.  I had items I needed to return.  I also needed to get some travel items for my Korea trip.  I scored by finding great $1 clearance!!!  I found some more present for the birthday closet, such as Star Wars figures, Squinkies, and lip glosses.  I used a Walmart gift card for my purchases.  


Last but not least, I headed to Crest for my "other" grocery shopping.  I shop at Homeland every week, but only purchase what's on sale and what I have a coupon for.  I do all my other grocery shopping at Crest (sometimes Walmart, but only if I have to).  I do use coupons here but I don't get the savings I get at Homeland.  That's okay though because Crest is usually cheaper than Homeland and that's where I purchase my meat and fresh vegetables and fruit.  Crest is having their 66th annual Anniversary Sale, so there are some great in-store deals.  Simple Saving Savvy will be posting the latest Crest deals later today.  Check her blog out.  I love her because she posts all the sales deals on our local stores.  In addition, she also posts great recipes, freebies, and posts about intentional living.  


That's it folks.  It was 7 p.m. by the time I arrived at home and I was tired of shopping/couponing.  :)  I got everything on my list done though.  These aren't things I do every week for couponing.  Probably about once a month I get a whole day to myself to do this kind of running around, so I try to take advantage and make the most of it.  It was fun, but it was more fun to come home and listen to my daughter excitedly tell me about her new bike.  


Hope you have a good weekend.  It's Easter weekend.  We will be making Resurrections rolls.  I'm sure I'll blog about it.   Maybe I'll blog the recipe later today so you can do it with your family this weekend.  We have the Resurrection Eggs we use to tell the Easter story, but we use the Resurrection Rolls as another fun way to tell how about how Jesus Is RISEN!!! 


I'm impressed if you actually made it through the last of this post.  Good Job!!

0 comments: