My son, who just turned 9 has a new birthday. Or at least he has another birthday. Today, November 27, 2011, is his spiritual birthday.
You know that I have had some questions on my heart and God had given me reassurance. I am so thankful to God that he hears my prayers and knows the desires of my heart.
This morning as we were got into our seats in "big church", my son leaned over to me and said, "Mommy, I invited Jesus into my heart this morning!" Like a well-prepared mother I said, "What???" He repeated himself. "I invited Jesus into my heart this morning in Sunday School." I replied, "Oh, okay. Can we talk about this at home?" I am kind of in shock. It was the last thing I had expected to hear this morning. It's usually, "I need to go to the restroom." or "Can I go get bulletins for all of us?"
I asked him to tell his daddy. He leaned over and told the officer. Tears welled up in the officers eyes and he was so excited. The officer sat down and asked him a few questions. He handled it much better than I did. The officer was talking to my son about going down to pray with a deacon at the end of the service. I needed a time-out. I need to make sure my son knew what he was doing.
The officer suggested we go out to talk with our son. We left the service and found a quiet room to talk. I asked him exactly what happened in Sunday school. He said the Sunday School teacher had asked if anyone wanted to pray as ask Jesus into their heart. My son said, "I wanted to do it last week, but I didn't do it. This week when he asked, I thought, now is my chance to do this." We asked my son if he knew what he asking Jesus into his heart meant. He told us it meant he wanted to follow Jesus. He knew he what sin was and that he was a sinner. He knew that Jesus died on the cross to take care of all his sins. We told him now it is our job to help him learn how to follow and get to know Christ.
My son had not said anything to us last week about wanting to pray. We have always told him what we believe about God but that he would have to make his own personal decision about whether he wanted to follow God and have a personal relationship with him. Since we talked several weeks ago, I felt certain my son knew what he was doing.
Before bed tonight, I asked my son, "Are you sure you understand what you did today?, Are you sure you don't want to wait until you understand a little more?" He replied, "I know what I did and I don't want to wait because I understand it mommy!"
Can there be a great joy in my heart right now? It's hard to imagine, except maybe when my girl makes her decision too.
So now both of my son's birthday's are in November, his physical birth and his spiritual birth. Please pray for us to have knowledge on how to guide our son grow in his relationship with God. Thank you for all of those have joined with us to pray for our children.
2 Peter 1:4
"And because of his glory and excellence, he has given us great and precious promises. These are the promises that enable you to share his divine nature and escape the world’s corruption caused by human desires."
Romans 10:13
"For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved."
Life is Wild - Intro
9 months ago
3 comments:
Such tears of joy! Angels in heaven also rejoice! A happy grandma!
What a beautiful Hallelujah! Angels are singing. Big party in Heaven yesterday for your son! This just excites me so much. I am so thrilled for him and for your family. And we will be praying for him as he begins this new adventure. I love it! What a blessing. Definitely a proud Mom moment!
Awww... I loved reading your description of how he shared this with you and the officer. So sweet! Happy happy to hear this! Love you!
Post a Comment